Need a quick appetizer your guests will love? Then look no further! This Hot Swiss Cheese Dip Appetizer will have your friends and family asking for more!
As with most of my favorite recipes, there’s a story that comes with it.
When I was getting married oh so many years ago, we had a couples shower, and one of the guests gave us a simple but lasting gift—a small, decorative baking dish with one of her favorite recipes in it for Hot Swiss Cheese Dip.
I must admit, I was a little skeptical of the recipe at first. But after trying it once, I was a complete convert. It really is SOOOO yummy!
And boy is this recipe easy to make and remember: 1 cup of chopped onions, 1 cup of shredded Swiss cheese, and 1 cup of mayonnaise. Yes—a cup, a cup, and a cup. Can you memorize that? Even my failing memory can make this dish without looking it up the recipe!
Now I must admit that I sometimes used to make this recipe with mayonnaise made from highly processed ingredients like soybean oil. However, these days I usually make my mayonnaise from scratch. Thankfully, though, there are several great store-bought mayo options made from real ingredients so scratch mayo isn’t necessary (check out Primal Mayo or Chosen Mayo).
And if you’re not a fan of mayo, try the vegetarian option in the recipe notes that substitutes Whole Milk Greek Yogurt. While it’s not quite as good, it’s still pretty fantastic!
My Hot Swiss Cheese Dip Appetizer Recipe
So if you’re entertaining anytime soon, chop up some onions, grate some cheese, and whip up this tasty Hot Swiss Cheese Dip Appetizer. I promise you—it’s a surefire hit!
Hot Cheese Dip AppetizerRecipe By:
Note: For most recipes you can adjust the measures for more or less servings by hovering over the servings number and moving the slider.
Hot Cheese Dip:
- 1 cup chopped onions see notes
- 1 cup mayonnaise see notes
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- chopped chives or the tops of green onions
- Toasted bread slices of a whole wheat baguette, or whole wheat crackers.
- Mix the onions, mayonnaise, and cheese into a 1-quart baking dish, pie plate/quiche dish, or several smaller baking dishes/ramekins.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top. Remove from oven and serve with crackers or slices of a whole wheat
Kitchen Tips and Resources for My Hot Swiss Cheese Dip Appetizer:
- Over the years I’ve collected quite a few white baking dishes that work well with this Hot Swiss Cheese Dip appetizer. Here are some links to a few of my favorites: (1) Chantal Pie/Baking Dish, (2) Portmeirion Sophie Conran White Round Roasting Dish, (3) white quiche dish, and (4) white ceramic crock. Of course, just about any kind of baking dish or pie plate will work, although I like ones that are have more surface area and create a bubbly, golden brown top!
- Don’t have any cheese spreaders? Then check out some of these options: (1) Multipurpose Stainless Steel Cheese Spreaders, (2) Wooden Handle Wide Blade Cheese Spreader, (3) Juniper Wood Cheese Spreader, and (4) Laguiole Butter Knives / Spreaders Stainless Steel blade with Black Handle.
- As mentioned in the recipe and blog post, if you’re not up for making your mayo from scratch using real ingredients, try one of these great options: Primal Mayo or Chosen Mayo.