Yesterday we celebrated Katie’s 9th birthday with these Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats! I like to call them PB&J Dog Treats, but I confess—they don’t contain any jelly (that’s a good thing, btw). But when I was making these dog treats they smelled EXACTLY like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, hence the name!
Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats Your Puppy Will Love!
Made with oatmeal, peanut butter, blueberries, applesauce, and a little salt, these homemade peanut butter dog treats are amazing. And boy, does Katie love them! It was hard to get her to stay put for this photo, but in general, she’s a pretty well-behaved dog—especially for a treat!
My Recipe Was So Popular I Decided to Make it for Dogs Everywhere!
Made with only the finest organic, human grade ingredients like specially-selected oats, sun-ripened fruit, and creamy peanut butter, Yitto Paws Granola Bites are as delicious as they are nutritious!
Other Homemade Dog Treat Ideas
Now, if you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know how crazy we are about Katie. I like to call her “a big part of our little family.” So about 3 times a year I whip up some sort of homemade treat—typically to celebrate her birthday, adoption day, or the holidays. So far that has created a nice little line-up of treat ideas for dogs. If you’re interested, here’s a quick list:
- Peanut Butter Whole Wheat Dog Treats
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Dog Treats
- Sweet Potato Jerky Dog Treats
- Frosty Fun Frozen Peanut Butter Dog Treats
- Blueberry Banana Frozen Dog Treats
I’m sure we’ll keep adding to the list and experimenting, but that’s a pretty darned good list so far! 🙂
My Recipe for Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats with Blueberries!
This recipe is super easy to make and contains only healthy, real ingredients that are safe for your furry friend. Although you can roll out these treats and cut them into different shaped biscuits, I chose to make them into “thumbprint” cookies like you might make with jam.
Also, I made the treats nice and small since Katie is only 19 pounds, and we want her to stay healthy and fit. Depending on the size of your dog, you may want to increase the size of the treats.
Finally, to help visualize the recipe’s instructions, I inserted a quick, “how to” picture at the bottom of this post. As they say, a picture (or 2 or 3) is worth a thousand words!
We hope you enjoy making these Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats with Blueberries as much as we did. And we can promise you, your dog is going to love them!
Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats with Blueberries
- 6 cups rolled oats regular or quick
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup applesauce
- 6 heaping tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
- For best results, use a food processor with a sharp mixing blade. Add rolled oats into food processor bowl and pulse for 10 - 20 seconds. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until completely blended.
- Scoop out large handfuls of dough and roll into small logs. Then break off small pieces of dough and roll between your hands and place on prepared cookie sheets. Then using your thumb, press the dough ball to create thumbprint treats.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until the treats start to brown on the edges. Cook and store in an airtight container for several months.
Kitchen Resources and Tips for Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats with Blueberries:
- I love my Cuisinart Food Processor. It makes it super easy to whip up a batch of dog treats!
- A high-quality baking sheet is indispensable in the kitchen. Here’s one from NordicWare that’s similar to what I use.
- These Homemade Peanut Butter dog treats make wonderful gifts. Just fill up a pint-size mason jar with them, add a bow or some ribbon, and your friends and their dogs will love you forever!
Quick, How-To Instructions for Making These Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats:
As promised, here’s a quick, visual guide for making these dog treats. I promise, they’re super easy to make!