Today’s recipe for Broiled Grapefruit is inspired by one from my childhood. I grew up in Florida, and one of my mom’s favorite “Old Florida” restaurants to visit was Chalet Suzanne in Lake Wales. Mom loved the quaint, old-world charm of Chalet Suzanne. And she always enjoyed the delicious, Broiled Grapefruit on their menu. So with grapefruit season in full swing, I decided it was the perfect time to share my version of this restaurant-inspired recipe.
I’ve revised the ingredients a bit since the original Broiled Grapefruit recipe called for granulated white sugar and chicken livers as garnish. Instead, I opt for a little coconut sugar or maple syrup plus fresh berries and/or mint leaves as garnish.
What a beautiful presentation Broiled Grapefruit makes for breakfast or as an appetizer. But please, don’t be shy—it’s delicious enough to serve as dessert! And fear not, even your kids will love this dish. My son, Ben, absolutely gobbles them up!
My Broiled Grapefruit Recipe
So if you enjoy citrus fruit, you definitely need to give my Broiled Grapefruit recipe a try. Fresh, deliciously sweet, and perfect for just about any occasion, I can’t wait to hear how much you love this dish!
Broiled GrapefruitRecipe By:
Note: For most recipes you can adjust the measures for more or less servings by hovering over the servings number and moving the slider.
- 2 grapefruit cut in half
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 1/3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- fresh berries and/or mint leaves
- Preheat oven broiler to low.
- Make the base of each grapefruit half flat so it won't wobble by slicing about ¼-inch of the peel on the base and stem ends of each grapefruit. Then cut each grapefruit in half (slicing parallel to the cuts on the stem and base of the fruit).
- With a serrated knife or grapefruit sectioning tool, loosen the segments of the grapefruit. Place all the grapefruit halves on a baking sheet. Drizzle with butter, coconut sugar/maple syrup, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Put in oven about 4 inches from the broiler.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until bubbly and the grapefruit rind starts to brown. Remove from broiler and garnish with fresh berries and/or mint leaves. Serve immediately.
Kitchen Tips and Resources for My Broiled Grapefruit Recipe:
- Grapefruit spoons are a nice touch when serving this Broiled Grapefruit recipe
- This tool that makes sectioning your grapefruit a breeze!
- A rimmed stainless steel baking sheet is perfect for broiling your grapefruit!