This post is by blog team member, Kelly. To learn more about Kelly, check out our team page!
This Shaved Squash Salad is inspired by one of the dishes I enjoyed most on a recent trip to one of my favorite places—Orange Beach, Alabama. In truth, this recipe is my attempt to re-create the restaurant version of the salad. Does it taste exactly like the original? Probably not. But both are fantastic!
Served alongside your protein of choice, this squash salad makes a lovely, light meal perfect for summertime, or for nights that feel like summertime—like the ones we’ve been having in Minnesota lately! We love it with my homemade Mustard Vinaigrette recipe, but I’m sure lots of different homemade salad dressings would taste delicious with it!
Shaved Squash and Chevre Salad
- 1 pound summer squash ends trimmed, sliced into "ribbons"
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans crumbled
- 1/3 cup chevre goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Mustard Vinaigrette
- Add prepared squash, onion, pecans and goat cheese to a large bowl, pour dressing over top and toss well.
Kelly Harjes is a Certified Holistic Health Coach and founder of Appetite for Healthy Change™. Her mission is to inspire others to look and feel their best, feed their families well, and help improve our food system.
Kitchen Tips and Resources from Bruce:
- I’ve tried several different spiral vegetable slicing tools, and I think the Paderno Slicer does the best job. It’s available at Amazon, Williams-Sonoma, and lots of other kitchen retailers. If you don’t want to invest in a spiral slicer, a mandolin slicer or a vegetable peeler work very nicely too.
- A great pair of wooden salad tongs makes serving up your Shaved Squash Salad a breeze. Here are a couple of my favorites!
- As I’ve shared in other posts, cutting boards and knives are two kitchen essentials. I love these great, non-slip cutting boards and my Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Signature brand knives.