Finding crackers that taste good and use real ingredients can be challenging. And while I sometimes choose to make my own crackers, it can get pretty time consuming when I’m in a rush. So what do I do instead? I make up a batch of my delicious homemade whole wheat pita chips.
These days it’s pretty easy to find whole wheat pita bread with real ingredients. I can pick up loaves at my co-op, Whole Foods, or Trader Joe’s. Although they’re usually not organic, they do feature 5 simple ingredients: Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Honey, Yeast, and Salt. So when I’m in the mood to make some quick crackers for appetizers, these homemade whole wheat pita chips are one of my favorite, go-to options.
Homemade Whole Wheat Pita ChipsRecipe By:
Note: For most recipes you can adjust the measures for more or less servings by hovering over the servings number and moving the slider.
- 4 8- inch whole wheat pita rounds
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic smashed (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stack 4 pita rounds and cut into 8 wedges. Measure olive oil into a bowl. Add 1-2 cloves of smashed garlic if desired.
- Place pita wedges and a rimmed baking sheet. Brush pita chips with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool, serve, and enjoy with your favorite cheese, dips, or other appetizers.
Kitchen Tips and Resources:
- A couple heavy-duty rimmed baking sheets are essentials for any kitchen and baking up these whole wheat pita chips. Try to avoid the flimsier varieties since they can bend, twist, and cook less evenly over time. You can buy baking sheets from just about any place that sells quality kitchen bakeware, but here’s a link for them on Amazon and at Williams-Sonoma.
- Pastry brushes of all sizes are great tools to have on hand. They come in particularly handy when brushing these pita chips with olive oil. Personally, I prefer to use ones like these that have natural bristles.