I love comfort foods like Chicken Pot Pie. Unfortunately, most of the pre-packaged/frozen versions contain some not-s0-good ingredients and additives—despite what their advertising might say! So what’s my answer? My BEST Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Ever!
Made with 100% real ingredients like my delicious whole wheat pie crust, this Chicken Pot Pie recipe comes together really easily. And since it’s filled with lots of veggies like peas, carrots, celery, and onions, you don’t need any vegetable side dishes with it. That said, I love to serve it with a side salad like my Orange Spinach Salad with Toasted Almonds.
Have I mentioned how much your family will love my Homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe? I made it for my brother and his family last week, and they devoured it! And this week I brought it over to my second cousin’s home—his wife is on bedrest expecting their first baby—and they said it was “splendid”!
My BEST Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Ever
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again—REAL ingredients are what make my Homemade Chicken Pot Pie so delicious. And while I don’t consider Chicken Pot Pie a “health” food, when it’s free of questionable additives and highly processed ingredients, it’s so much better for you than what you can find in the grocery store!
So let’s get cooking! Hope you and your family enjoy this recipe!
The BEST Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Ever
- 1/3 cup butter
- ½ - 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts – cubed
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 - 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary crumbled (optional)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen carrots diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 9-inch unbaked, whole wheat pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onions and celery in butter until they start to soften. Add cubed, uncooked chicken and sauté for about 8-10 minutes.
- Mix together the milk and flour. Add to the chicken. Stir until it begins to thicken. Slowly add the broth and simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Stir in seasonings and carrots and peas. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Line a 9-inch pie with an unbaked pie crust. Pierce the crust several times with the tines of a fork. Pour warm chicken filling into the crust. Cover with top crust, seal the edges, and cut away any excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until pie crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Kitchen resources and tips for the BEST Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe:
- A good whisk makes mixing the flour into the milk for this recipe quick and easy!
- A great, non-slip cutting board is an invaluable kitchen asset when cutting up the vegetables for your stuffing and cubing the bread. I upgraded to these Epicurean non-slip boards a while back, and I’ve been really pleased with them.
- A high-quality set of cutting knives can make a huge difference, especially when you’re cooking REAL food. My local knife shop advised me to invest in the higher quality Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Signature brand (much higher quality than the J.A. Henckels International brand) and time has proven them right. (To make sure you know which Henckels knives are better, here’s a tip — look for the “twins” on the knives vs. the single guy sporting the trident.)