Are you a pumpkin pie lover? If so, this recipe is perfect for YOU! I’ve been tinkering around in the kitchen for the past several weeks trying to master a new twist on this Thanksgiving classic, and you know what? I nailed it! But after trying half a dozen variations, you’d hope I’d have something to show for it. 🙂 But seriously … look at this beautiful pumpkin pie!
What makes my Best Pumpkin Pie Ever recipe simply amazing? Eggs, cream cheese, and milk give the pie a rich, creamy, custardy base. Then the pie is sweetened naturally with maple syrup and flavored with a delicious blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and vanilla. Mmmmm!!! Just writing about it makes me want to go cut another slice!
Finally, if you’re feeling in a truly decadent mood, I’ve included a recipe for my nut crumble topping and homemade whipped cream. While this may be considered gilding the lily for some, it really does make for a fabulous holiday dessert. Yes, the crumble topping does use some sugar in it (does anyone know how to make a crumble without it? I’m all ears if you do!), but I’m fine using a little sugar here and there on occasion.
What kind of pie crust do I recommend? I always use my 100% Delicious Whole Wheat Pie Crust recipe since it’s so easy to make, and turns out perfect every time. It uses whole wheat pastry flour, and I honestly believe it makes a perfect pie crust! Of course, if you have I different crust you’d like to try with this recipe, by all means give it a whirl and let me know how it turns out!
So here’s to getting in the holiday baking spirit and celebrating Thanksgiving in style!
Kitchen Tips and Resources:
- I have a couple different pie pans that I use. I’m a huge fan of this simple, oven-safe glass pie plate or the classic Emile Henry white pie dish.
- Pie crust shields like these or these can help keep the edges of your crust from over-browning, especially for longer bake time pies like pumpkin!
- A good rolling pin is essential for rolling out your pie crust. I have three different types of rolling pins (crazy, huh?) and this french style pin is what I prefer.
- These pie crust and pastry mats are cool tools, especially when you’re learning how to roll out your crust.
- I really love Bob Red Mill’s Whole Wheat Pastry Flour for pie crusts, baking, and pretty much as a whole wheat all-purpose flour for all my cooking needs.