Black Beans and Rice
Note: For most recipes you can adjust the measures for more or less servings by hovering over the servings number and moving the slider.
- 2 cans 15 ounces each black beans, drained and reserve juice
- 1 can diced tomatoes not drained (14.5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons oil olive or avocado oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion diced
- 1 cup diced bell pepper I usually use a 50/50 mix of green and red bell peppers
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Season to taste with the following
- salt and pepper
- hot pepper sauce of your choice
- lime wedges
- green onions
- diced mango
- sour cream
In a 6-quart pot warm oil over medium heat and cook onion until it starts to soften and become translucent. Add garlic and bell peppers. Cook another 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, black beans, thyme, and bay leaves. Cook for 4 minutes. Add vinegar and reserved juices from beans. Cook for another 5-10 minutes then season to taste with salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
Remove bay leaves. Serve over brown rice and garnish as desired.
We recommend using organic ingredients when possible.
If using dried black beans, prepare first and make enough for 3 1/3 total cups.
If you prefer fresh tomatoes use about 1 1/2 cups, diced.
For seasoning I use about 1 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1-2 teaspoons of hot pepper sauce.