My son and I have a long history of making waffles together. I truly believe that a great way to start cooking with your kids is to create a ritual. Saturday mornings are where our ritual began, and waffles became a family favorite.
Now for a LONG time our waffles were made from a highly processed mix. Over the past five years we’ve made some real improvements to our weekend favorite. Oftentimes we make our whole grain waffles from scratch, but if we use a mix, it’s organic and has 100% whole wheat flour.
And then sometimes we go all out and make some really special waffles like our Banana Cornbread Delights! With the crispy crunch of cornmeal and sweet deliciousness of ripe bananas—all drizzled with maple syrup—these waffles make for a special weekend meal.
So get out that waffle iron and a couple of mixing bowls. Whether you have young kids, teenagers, or you’re an empty nester—treat yourself to a special, homemade weekend breakfast filled with real ingredients like our whole grain waffles with bananas and a touch of cornmeal!
Banana Cornbread Delight WafflesRecipe By:
Note: For most recipes you can adjust the measures for more or less servings by hovering over the servings number and moving the slider.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk or buttermilk
- 12 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 large eggs see notes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas quartered lengthwise and diced
- maple syrup for serving
Optional Garnish Ideas
- Sliced Bananas
- Whipped Cream
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl blend milk, melted butter, and eggs. Add sugar and vanilla—whisk until smooth.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the flour mixture. Mix until the batter is moistened—lumps are okay.
- Fold in the bananas.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Oil or butter waffle iron.
- Add about 1 1/4 cups batter to the greased waffle iron (see notes).
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until waffle is golden brown.
- To keep waffles warm, place on oven-safe plate in 225F degree oven.
- Serve with warm maple syrup. Garnish as desired.
Kitchen Tips and Resources:
- There are lots of great options for waffle makers out there. This top-rated Presto Belgian waffle iron is available on Amazon and at lots of other retailers like Target. If you prefer a more traditional waffle with pockets that aren’t so deep, here’s a great choice from Cuisinart.
- I’m a big fan of Bob Red Mill’s whole wheat organic pastry flour and cornmeal, both of which are ingredients I use in my waffle recipes!
- If you go the extra step and separate the eggs for a super light and fluffy waffle, I highly recommend this Cuisinart hand mixer.