We love pesto. And with summer gardens, farmers markets, and grocery stores filled with fresh basil, there’s no better time to make some up than now.
But why should you go to the trouble? While there are some high quality pesto sauces available, some store-bought pesto sauces don’t look very real at all.
The Knorr dry pesto sauce mix is particularly disturbing with salt and sugar as the first two ingredients and basil falling pretty deep into the list. But in general, with ingredients like MSG, partially hydrogenated oils, cheese from cows potentially treated with growth hormones, and a whole host of other additives, I prefer to make my own. And while it does take a little bit of time, it probably doesn’t take as much time as you think.
And if you’re looking for some ways to reduce the cost of homemade pesto sauce, check out my recipe. I’ve got some great ideas for substituting other greens that can bring just as much flavor to your table at a more affordable price!Print
Probably our favorite way to use this recipe is with our homemade Pesto Cavatappi, but there are tons of possibilities. Here are some of our favorites:
Our Top 8 Ways to Use Pesto Sauce:
- Mix in with pasta
- As a spread on a sandwich or bread
- Use as a condiment or dipping sauce for meat
- Season or dress veggies
- As a replacement for traditional pizza sauce
- At breakfast as a topping or mix-in for eggs
- Create fun, delicious dips by mixing it into hummus, guacamole, sour cream, or greek yogurt
- As a topping on cream cheese for a delicious appetizer with crackers or pita wedges.
Do you enjoy pesto sauce? Share your favorite way to use it below!