I wholeheartedly believe in enjoying the simple pleasures in life. And when it comes to food, one of the simplest, most delicious pleasures around is a Caprese Salad.
Made with fresh tomatoes, sliced buffalo mozzarella, basil leaves, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a little salt and pepper, real food doesn’t get any better than Caprese Salad. And there’s no better time to make this salad than now since fresh, summer tomatoes and garden-picked basil are essential for a great Caprese Salad.
If you’ve never tried making a Caprese Salad, please give this recipe a try. Honestly, it’s a classic and one of the simplest, best-tasting salads around. The only secret…do your best to find the freshest ingredients available and use a high-quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Caprese SaladRecipe By:
Note: For most recipes you can adjust the measures for more or less servings by hovering over the servings number and moving the slider.
- 2 fresh tomatoes sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 8-12 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
- 12 + fresh basil leaves
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar optional
- season with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- On a serving platter arrange tomato slices. On top of each tomato place a slice of fresh mozzarella and one or two leaves of fresh basil. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar (if desired), and season lightly with a coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Kitchen Tips and Resources:
- My knife skills are pretty good, but I prefer to use a tomato slicer to get perfect, similarly-sized slices of tomatoes for my Caprese Salad.
- A white, rectangular platter makes is a perfect way to present your Caprese Salad for family or guests! There are tons of different options out there but here are some similar to the one I use: Target, Crate & Barrel, or Pottery Barn.