Looking for an easy way to get your family eating more fruits and veggies? My Amazing Broccoli Salad with apples and carrots is so simple to whip up, it’s going to become a household staple!
Perfect as the main dish or side for lunch or dinner, I absolutely love this recipe. When I have a little extra time and I want to make it a little more special, I mix some seedless grapes, dried fruit, or nuts/seeds into the salad. Yummmm! And since it keeps well in the refrigerator, you may want to consider making up a double batch.
Finally, for the dressing I use greek yogurt with a little mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste. If you’re not a mayo fan, feel free to replace it with more greek yogurt or some sour cream.
Okay… ready, set, let’s get chopping! 🙂
Broccoli Salad with Apples and CarrotsRecipe By:
Note: For most recipes you can adjust the measures for more or less servings by hovering over the servings number and moving the slider.
- 3 cups broccoli florets about 1 large head
- 2 cups apple diced (about 1 large apple)
- 1/2 cup onion diced (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice about 1 lemon
- 1 cup carrot shredded (about 1 carrot)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or raisins
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds pine nuts, or walnuts
- In a large bowl toss the salad ingredients together and any of the optional mix-ins.
- Make the salad dressing. Pour over the salad and mix.
- Season to taste.
Kitchen Tips and Resources
- A great, non-slip cutting board is an invaluable kitchen asset when cutting up the broccoli, onion, and apple. I upgraded to these Epicurean non-slip boards a year ago, and I’ve been really pleased with them.
- A great apple corer is a kitchen essential. I replaced my old, rusty one last year with a new, OXO Good Grips corer and love it. If you don’t have an apple corer, or if you might need an upgrade like I did, I highly recommend this one. It’s sharp, easy to use, and does the job lickety-split!
- A high quality set of cutting knives can make a huge difference, especially when you’re cooking REAL food. My local knife shop advised me to invest in the higher quality Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Signature brand (much higher quality than the J.A. Henckels International brand) and time has proven them right. (To make sure you know which Henckels knives are better, here’s a tip — look for the “twins” on the knives vs. the single guy sporting the trident.) While you can buy these knives online, if you’ve got a local knife/cutlery store, support them instead. I love my local cutlery store and bring my knives in every six months or so to get them maintained with a nice, sharp edge!